Security and Administration: Mark St. John
 Levi Armlovich's Letter to the College Community
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

38 Posts

Posted - 2006 August 16 :  16:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Everybody,
Just a quick note about some of the fun Outdoor Activities that go on. Many of you took advantage of the school-sponsored ski trips over this past year, which included several overnight trips to Wolf Creek in Colorado (one of the best places I’ve ever skied; they get more snow than Vail!) and trips to the Santa Fe ski basin and Los Alamos. Los Alamos wasn’t that great, but the Ski Basin is nice, especially considering the fact that it’s only about 45 minutes away. You can get up in the morning, drive up there, ski ‘til noon, and be back in time to take a shower and get to your 2:30 class on time. Many more of you rented the ski and snowboarding equipment that the gym had available to go on your own time. (I did both the school trips and several trips just on my own with friends.) Unfortunately, next year that equipment won’t be available to rent at the gym. Things are being restructured, so that rather than spending money maintaining equipment (and for insurance reasons... stupid liability!) the Outdoors Activities Program will be subsidizing the cost of lift tickets and rentals in town. What does that mean? Rather than getting free equipment at the gym and then spending forty or fifty bucks on a lift ticket, we’ll get discounted rentals at a ski shop in town (with maybe a little help from the Outdoors Activities Office) for like eight or ten dollars. Then we’ll also get money to help pay for lift tickets, so the lift tickets might only cost thirty or thirty-five dollars. I don’t know the exact figures yet; we’ll be letting you know probably at the beginning of next year. But they’ll be somewhere along those lines. That means that everyone who has their own equipment won’t have to spend as much on lift tickets, so their ski trips will be cheaper, and those of us (like me) who don’t have their own equipment will save overall too, and get to ski on better equipment--not that the stuff at the gym is bad, it’s just several years old, and at a ski shop, we’ll get top-of-the-line, brand-new equipment. Speaking of that stuff at the gym, what’s going to happen to it since we’re not using it next year? It’s for sale right now at the gym, all for pretty reasonable prices. If you’re interested, stop by and ask to see what we’ve got left, but hurry, it’s going pretty quickly. On a different note, I’d like to add a little bit about the intramural games we have a couple of times a week. In the Fall and Spring we play soccer, and in the Winter basketball. Those games are always fun, and you don’t have to be any good to play; I’m not, but it’s always a good time anyway. In addition, there are pick-up basketball games several times a week and this year we played indoor soccer in the gym twice a week when it was too cold to play outside. If you’ve ever played either sport, you should come play with us next year. And if you haven’t... you should come play anyway. It’s great exercise, and it’s fun. I hate running, but when I play soccer, it’s not really like running, because there’s other stuff going on. So I trick myself into getting a great cardio-workout, while having fun. Did I mention the fun and relaxed atmosphere? Alright, I’ll quit wasting your time. I know, you didn’t come to this school to have fun; you came for a serious work environment. You came to sit inside and read books all day. If you ever get tired of sitting around and decide to take Plato seriously when he says that the best people have to be in good shape and train in the gymnasium, come down and check us out. There’s lots more to do, too, than just what I’ve written about. I’ll see you down there on one of the ski trips, or maybe we’ll play soccer sometime, or I’ll see you in the weight room. ‘Til then.
Levi Armlovich, Outdoors Activities Worker
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
St John's Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000